Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Art at Duke

For my videos, I asked people different questions all dealing with art at Duke. Some a lot to say and others not much at all. I asked "Do you think art is important at Duke?", "What is your favorite piece of art at Duke?", and asked them what their thoughts were on the Nasher and the graffiti bridge. Several of my random interviews were damaged and were without sound so I don't have a full representation of my work; however, I did gain a better understanding of the public's feelings for the arts at Duke. Art at Duke is not just a painting in the Nasher and it is not a painting on the graffiti bridge. Its more about the feeling and passion behind the art. If someone feels like expressing themselves and leaving their mark by spray painting small toasters around campus (look for them!), then that is art. If people think a bunch of soda cans cut into a hanging design is art, then why not? As I type this, I am on the first floor of the Perkins library in a comfy chair that sits across from a huge poster hanging on the wall. It is a collage of images involving a mix of paintings, music record covers and pictures of Duke happenings- all countered by a large profile of a woman's head. The poster features a quote by Miles Davis which says, "Don't play what's there, play what's not there." I think the arts at Duke are definitely important but right now it is only a small whisper. With more support and visibility, it will be more prominent. 

No comments: