Friday, September 19, 2008

Map of the Arts at Duke

My map shows the Duke campus with an emphasis on the space given to the arts (music, visual art, and performing art). The colored areas show the campus space devoted to science, residential life, the medical center, and other areas, while the red boxes show the relative sizes and locations of art buildings. The intention behind my map was to make visible the usually invisible practice of the arts on campus, and to show how the arts are physically as well as mentally relegated to the periphery at Duke.

To create this map I examined many different maps of campus, from the "official" map on the Duke website (map.duke.edu) to Google maps to promotional literature given out by the admissions office. I compiled all these maps to create the map shown here. The basic layout was taken from a Google map on which I superimposed a grid. The grey horizontal and vertical lines on my map are the remains of this grid. I also arranged the campus so it would fit within the page but as close to the edges as possible. The overall feel of the final product is like a treasure map, where the viewer has to hunt through the larger colored campus spaces to find the red art buildings that are the focal points of the piece.

In the course of creating my project I did research on the different arts venues at Duke, trying to find out how much space is allotted to them compared to the spaces given to other areas. I discovered that the measurements of spaces on campus are not public, and was unable to get access to them. I was also struck again by the lack of arts spaces on campus compared to the large amount of space given to other campus pursuits. Hopefully, viewers of my map will come to a better understanding of where the arts are located at Duke, as well as become aware of how the arts are marginalized and how space can be a powerful factor of control.

No comments: