Wednesday, October 22, 2008


For the soda can project, I decided to make a doorway decoration.  The idea came from those hanging beads that people sometimes put in their doorways.  It was kind of an easy decision when it came to my design.  I knew I wanted something that would hang was made of repeating simple elements.  An intensive trial and error process landed me upon the circles and squares.  I chose those elements because they looked fragile and almost dainty.  I connected the pieces with curled wire, which you cannot see in the pictures.  There ended up being six different strands, and despite how hectic it looks, there is some organization.  The first and the fourth strand are the same, the second and fifth are the same and the third and the sixth are also the same.  I thought that doing the pattern like that would make it look a little bit more organized but I was clearly wrong.  I do like the way it ended up looking though.  It is simple yet fun. 

 I hung my project in the common room door in my dorm (Giles).  I was not satisfied with the amount of attention, or lack thereof, it got from people passing by.  Most ignored or just scooted around it.  There were a few people who were annoyed with the inconvenience of taking three steps to the side and gave a “pfft.”  When one girl was walking past it got stuck in her hair.  She gave a slight giggle and then moved it to the side of the doorway rather than in the middle where I had put it.  My friends were impressed with it, though. Two of them even asked if they could have it. 

  Working with the cans was a difficult task at first but it became easier after a while.  Figuring out how to work with the cut cans without cutting myself was a big deal.  My batman band-aids got a good work out throughout the past month.  It was surprising to me how easy the cans were to shape after you broke through them.  I don’t know that I would chose to use soda cans as a material in another project but it was interesting to get to work with such an off the wall object.  

No comments: