Monday, September 29, 2008

Darby, Montana

My goal while making this map was to illustrate my feelings towards my home town, Darby.  I tried to capture the simple and western atmosphere of the place I grew up.    Each of the images I chose to use in the center have personal meaning to me.  For example, the truck in the middle is the truck that our Town Mayor/ Head Custodian at school drives (odd combination, I know), the mountain on the left is one I climbed last summer (3,500 ft climb in 5 miles, not exactly a brisk walk), and the picture of the dog in front of the barn on the left is at my friends ranch.  It was a very personal project for me and I really like the feeling I get from it.
When making the map I wanted the focus to be on the center.  So the entire meat of the map is located in the center.  Also, I somewhat got rid of the edges by blacking them out using a pastel.  Originally the map did not have the different towns on it but without them I thought it felt unfinished.  The towns also gave the map a more personal touch and makes it so a larger audience can relate to it.  

No comments: