Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Map of Hitler's Mind

I knew from the beginning that I did not want to create a typical map, such as a road map or country map. After some thought, I decided it might be interesting to map a person's mind. Adolf Hitler had come up in one of my other classes, so I decided he would be an interesting subject, considering that when most people think of evil, the first name to come to mind is usually Hitler's. I wanted to explore the reasons Hitler might have become the person he was and then translate those reasons onto paper. However, this proved to be a more difficult task than I had hoped or expected. It is not clear exactly what events were the sources of Hitler's twisted and disturbed self. I did make a few revisions from my original, which seemed too historical and did not do enough to display Hitler's perverted nature. I tried to make the brain oddly shaped and added dark spots to make it seem somewhat deformed. I also enlarged the gas mask in the left hand corner of the swastika, set the Treaty of Versailles on fire (what I believe Hitler probably wanted to do to the treaty), and drew a pile of dead bodies lumped carelessly one on top of another. I think the rest of the items are fairly self explanatory. Hitler had an unusually and excessively close relationship with his mother, which is the reason his mother's face is at the center of his brain. His father was extremely abusive and constantly beat Hitler, once almost leaving him to die. Hitler's relationship with his father is represented by the scene in the right hand corner of the brain - one figure is on his knees pleading for mercy as the second figure is about to strike him. The paint palette and drawing represent Hitler's childhood dream of becoming an artist, a dream that he was never able to make a reality. The book of the Franco-Prussian War lies in the brain stem because Hitler's German nationalism is believed to have stemmed from a book on the Franco-Prussian War that Hitler read as a youth. The German flag and Iron Cross display that German nationalism. Hitler believed himself to be Germany's savior. The swastika, gas mask, and Star of David illustrate Hitler's extreme racism and desire for racial purity through the extermination of all types of people of whom he disapproved. The group of words on the left side of the brain are all events and groups that were relevant to Hitler, especially in his rise to power. Finally, the gun and cyanide capsule represent Hitler's suicide.

No comments: