Saturday, October 25, 2008

Soda Can Mobile

I spent most of the class times just cutting up the cans and messing around with them. So many ideas went through my head of what I wanted to make. I thought of doing a series of flowers, a rocket, candle-holders, and stars in space. Then, I looked up different baby/crib mobiles online to see different examples. I liked the idea, but I wanted to take it a bit further. Instead of the nice and simple baby mobiles, I wanted to create something that was overwhelming to look at. I experimented with using the cans to look like flower/star objects. I made a total of eight, all with different designs. Other parts of the cans were used-top, bottom, body. I like how the sheets (after cutting) were able to crumple up. I 
also kept the color of the cans in mind as I wired everything together. I wanted to include a variety of different colors all spread out.

Most mobiles play music. For this reason, I thought Biddle Music Building was the perfect place to put the mobile because there is always music playing there. I put up the mobile around midnight, when not many people were there. So, I wasn't able to observe people's reactions. I went back the next day to observe. However, my mobile wasn't hanging anymore! I left my phone number and email address with a lady in the office just in case they found it anywhere. A few days later, I received a phone call saying that they found it. I retrieved my mobile and decided to take it to my room. I got the weirdest looks as I carried it back to West. Some people smiled and told me it was really cool. Others would look at it critically, trying to figure it out. I got a few comments about dangerous it looked. I hung it up in my room because I didn't have anywhere else to put it. Whenever people came in, the first thing I heard was "WHOA!" Some said it was really cool and kept asking me questions about it. Others told me that it was dangerous and that I should move it to somewhere where it would be less hazardous. 

View from below

Some friends who helped me put the mobile up.

No comments: