Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Antique Map of Manhattan

When deciding what I wanted to do for my map project, I had a ton of different ideas, but one that I liked in particular was a map of New York.  I am from Connecticut, and while I don't actually live in New York, it still means a lot to me since I go there all the time.  I love the intersecting streets and the grid like system they create, especially Broadway, that disrupts this entire system of neat and orderly street by being diagonal.  Originally, I had wanted to emphasize Broadway, but I realized that I wasn't sure exactly what I would do and what message I would send so I decided not to.  This map at the right is my original version of the map, before I distressed the paper.  Drawing all the streets was probably the most time consuming part of the process, since there are so many and I wanted it to look neat. 






This is my final version of the map.  After drawing all the streets, I realized that I wanted to add something more to the project, so I decided to antique it.  First, I used oil pastels do add a golden brown aged look around the outside.  While this added another dimension to the piece, I didn't feel it was enough, and with advice from my art teacher, I decided to stain it with tea.  The tea staining was an interesting process because I had to find a large basin, steep multiple tea bags in the water, then place the paper in.  I crinkled this paper a little bit to give it cracks and a more used feel, but what I did not realize was how fragile the drawing paper became when wet.  I had to very carefully remove the paper from the water because it ripped very easily.  Some rips did appear, but in the end I am happy with this because it give the map an even older feel.






No comments: