Friday, November 21, 2008

Systematic Design

For my conceptual project, where we had to create a design that uses a system with inspiration from Sol Lewitt's work, I decided to create a system of an increasing pattern design. I wanted to make my pattern begin from the center and work its way out, so that there would be a center point on the design. Therefore, I began with a simple four squares in the middle of the graphing paper. 

After this start point, I began to grow my design from the center diagonally from each side. I increased the design outwards by two squares off of each point of the original starting square.

Once those diagonals were in place, I created a box around that enclosed the diagonals. This pattern continues up until my last 10th piece... 
Examples of a few other pieces within the design, and my 10th piece:
   
The color scheme that I chose came from a few experiments. I wanted to create the feel that the design was growing outwards from the page, to create depth from the center. I first tried dealing with red, orange, and yellow, but I realized that no matter how hard I worked on it, it did not really create the feel of depth that I was hoping for. Therefore, I moved onto the colors of green, blue and purple. I felt that these colors all are based off of relatively the same hue, and work well together. I still wanted to create some form of depth, so that is when I made the choice to make the color really dark first, and then continue the pattern with the same color, except for really light. I felt that the darkness of the color followed by the lightness of the color created depth. This pattern continues then, for each color following green. 

No comments: